Developmental delay is when a child does not progress as expected in achievement of specific milestones such as learning to sit, crawl, walk or talk.
WHAT CAUSES DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY?
There can be many different causes of developmental delay such as genetic problems, problems during pregnancy or birth, & problems during early infancy or childhood such as infection or head injury often there is no identifiable causes.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY?
Some common signs include:
- Problems with concentration reduced eye contact and easily frustrated.
- Slow to achieve milestones floppy or stiff limbs, clumsiness.
- Difficulty following moving objects, focusing eyes crossed or turned eyes.
- Small or deformed ears, does not startle to loud noise or respond when called.
- Softly spoken or very loud voice, unable to pronounce words appropriate to their age.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY FOR DEVELOPMENTAL DEALY?
- Achievement of physical milestones such as sitting crawling & standing.
- Improved posture, muscle strength, balance & co-ordination.
- Improve confidence.
HOW CAN PHYSIOTHERAPY HELP DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY?
Physiotherapy treatment aims to promote a child's independence & ability to reach physical milestones.
Treatment will be specific to a child's needs, age & abilities & our team of specialist physiotherapist will often use fun games & activities to help promote normal development. We liaise closely with parents, carers & teachers to help them understand the child's needs & how they can help promote future independence.